Our next two blogs will be about ways you can support your gut health at home. Today we’re discussing Castor Oil packs. Next month we’ll be talking about coffee enemas.
An Old Home Remedy: Castor Oil Packs
Castor Oil has numerous healing properties. Some of you may remember as a child that your Mom forced it down your throat to relieve constipation. I was first introduced to it when I discovered Colon Hydrotherapy back in the ’70’s. Edgar Cayce, who was a famous 20th-century medical intuitive, would begin each of his healing protocols recommending castor oil packs, colonics, and dietary changes. He felt that detoxing was the place to start!
Castor Oil has actually been a home remedy as far back as 1500 BC. Besides being used as a laxative, it can be applied topically to address a myriad of health and beauty issues.
Here’s how the topical application of Castor Oil works: the oil of the castor bean plant is known to be absorbed into the body’s lymphatic system, “stimulating lymphatic drainage and the natural healing ability of the body to break up any congestion present.” * Increased T-cells, which are powerful white blood cells that trigger our immune system’s antibody response, are detected after applying castor oil packs to the skin.
What are the benefits to the gut and colon? Castor Oil detoxifies the gut and increases the production of metabolites. These metabolites help break down and harvest nutrients from food and can also can help to balance gut bacteria by decreasing fungus growth.
How do you Make and Use Your Own Castor Oil Packs?
Supplies: Flannel or wool cloth, Heating pad or hot pack, Plastic sheet or wrap, and cold pressed and cold processed, preferably organic, Castor Oil
Preparation of Castor Oil Packs:
- Fold the flannel or wool cloth into 2 to 4 thicknesses or a suitable size to cover the body area where you will be applying it. It is safe to apply anywhere.
- Next, either soak the pack in pre-heated castor oil or saturate the cloth with castor oil. Heat it in the oven on a cookie sheet at low temperature. Don’t use your microwave as you can easily scorch the oil and pack. You want the pack very warm but not hot enough to burn your skin.
- When addressing gut issues, apply the pack to the entire abdomen. Placing it on the right side helps with detoxing the liver. When applied to the lower abdomen it can be helpful for relieving gas.
- Place a sheet of plastic over the pack. Some folks bundle their whole torso with cling wrap. This is to prevent oil from ruining your clothing and linens! If skin is sensitive to plastic, use a paper towel between skin and plastic wrap. It’s best not to be using clothes, towels, or sheets that you care about. There is a special product you can purchase to wash out the castor oil but they’ll never be quite the same.
- Over the plastic place a towel or old t-shirt. Lay a heating pad or hot pack on top of the cloth. If using a heating pad set it on medium or high if tolerable. Don’t make it so hot that it burns your skin.
- The treatment should continue for 30 – 45 minutes. This is a good time to meditate, read, or listen to music. Relax!
- To complete the treatment, remove the castor oil pack and clean your skin with a solution of baking soda and water (1 teaspoon baking soda to 1 pint of water).
- The pack can be stored in the refrigerator in a plastic box container. Reuse 20 – 25 times, after which it should be washed or thrown away. Just add a little fresh castor oil before each use.
- An easier method, although not as effective, is to simply spread castor oil directly on affected area. Cover with plastic wrap or a plastic bag and apply heat. There is also a disposable, one-time-application pack available online if you really want to keep it simple (from Amazon or Optimal Health Network).
Give it a try! It’s a wonderful complement to colon hydrotherapy. I hope you’ll enjoy using this simple home remedy to increase not just your gut health but your overall sense of well-being.
If you want more information about castor oil and its many benefits these several books you can read:
The Miracle Oil: Secrets of Edgar Cayce’s Palma Christi Revealed by David E. Kukor
Edgar Cayce and the Palma Christi by William A. McGarey
Natural Cures – The Hand of Christ: The Miracle Healing Oil: “Palma Christi” How It Will Heal You by Sam Sommer
My practice, Constance Jones – Colon Hydrotherapy in Manchester, Connecticut, is committed to providing a nurturing, holistic approach to this procedure. I use a comfortable and hygienic, multi-filtered FDA registered system. Please contact me at 860.287.4558 or Connie@Cleanmycolon.com to schedule an appointment with me or my new associate Olga.